- About Us
- What’s On
- Visiting the Playhouse
- Artists & Programming
- Creative Engagement
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Learning Disabilities
- Production and Technical
- Hire and Tours
- Support Us
- Contact Us
Playwrights and New Writing
The West Yorkshire Playhouse is developing a large, noisy space for Playwrights and New Writing. Our literary policy aims to nurture bold, new voices and to support, share and showcase rich, diverse stories about how we live in Leeds, in Yorkshire and in the world.
- Script Reading
We are excited to discover new work that explores how we live in Leeds, in Yorkshire and in the World.
We have an open reading policy for scripts written by writers born, raised or currently living in Yorkshire. These scripts can be sent to us during two reading windows each year.
Our Script Window is currently closed. Keep your eyes peeled for details of when this will open in the autumn.
So we can process, read and respond to all the scripts we receive, our unsolicited windows have specific criteria and we are strict about the way in which we scripts are sent to us.
Please read this page carefully before you send us work.
To submit a script, you must complete our online form here.
- Scripts must be submitted in PDF or Word format
- We can only read one play per writer, per calendar year.
- We are happy to accept scripts of any length, written for audiences of any age.
Unfortunately we cannot accept:
- Scripts written for radio, television or film.
- Plays that have had a previous production
- Plays that have been submitted to the West Yorkshire Playhouse previously
- Musicals, operas or operettas
- Writer Development
- Revolution Mix with Eclipse Theatre
Revolution Mix is an ambitious three year project that will act as a catalyst for permanent change in British theatre through the largest ever delivery of Black British stories in regional theatres on the middle scale. Led by Eclipse Theatre Company and Artistic Director Dawn Walton, Revolution Mix will spearhead the largest ever national delivery of Black British stories in regional theatres from 2015 – 2018, with the aim of provoking major change, tackling inequality and creating a lasting legacy within the UK’s theatrical landscape both onstage and off.West Yorkshire Playhouse is proud to be a partner in this major new initiative and will provide mentoring support to a writer over the 3 year period along with a commitment as a production partner for the final scripts.
- Write to Play with Graeae Theatre
Write to Play is a new initiative to cultivate and promote unheard voices, championing new work by disabled playwrights led by Graeae Theatre. Working in partnership with the UK’s leading new writing venues, Graeae provides training and mentoring so that twenty writers over four years can each develop one full-length play. The programme is now in its third year and West Yorkshire Playhouse is a partner alongside Hull Truck and Newcastle Live to support writers in the North East.
- Tonic Advance
Tonic Advance was a six-month programme with Artistic Directors and senior creative from across England, exploring how their organisations can work more successfully with female artists.Each participating organisation addressed a specific question during the programme. At West Yorkshire Playhouse we asked:
“What do we mean when talk about female-centred stories and what are the ways in which we can get more of them on our stages?”
- Playwrights Next A nine month programme of masterclasses and events for established writers in Leeds and Yorkshire. This small group is by invitation only and is a means for the Playhouse to provide bespoke support, to build a creative community and to have a meaningful connection with our local writers.
- If you are an emerging writer, please register to take part in Playwrights 1. If you are an established writer living and working in Yorkshire who would like to be considered for this programme, please contact our Literary Associate Jacqui Honess-Martin.
Or, if you have a new idea, project or script that you’d like to test out in front of an audience, click below for information about Furnace.
Meet the Team
0113 213 7225
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter
West Yorkshire Playhouse, Playhouse Square, Quarry Hill, Leeds, LS2 7UP
T: 0113 213 7800