Are you passionate about creating work with and for young people?
Do you want to collaborate with six leading producing theatres from across the UK to place young people’s voices at the centre of a creative process?
West Yorkshire Playhouse, Dundee Rep Theatre, Royal & Derngate Northampton, Theatre Royal Plymouth, Northern Stage and Derby Theatre have partnered together to commission an individual to develop a brand new production that each venue will perform during Summer 2019.
In previous years there have been 3 partnership commissions with a range of different venues. These commissions have led to the creation of Girls Like That by Evan Placey, Immune by Oladipo Agboluaje and most recently The Blue Road by Laura Lomas. Moving forward into the next round we are interested in opening up the process to different disciplines within theatre. We are inviting applications from writers or dramaturgs who have a strong interest in creating work with young theatre makers aged 14-21.
This could be the creation of a piece of new writing or an adaptation of an existing text. We are looking for applicants who are confident in a room with young people and who will work closely with our youth theatres and young companies to put their voice at the centre of the final piece.
We are looking for theatre artists with at least 2 professional productions under their belt and who are passionate about supporting young people to voice their ideas and create bold, exciting theatre.
The final piece should be no longer than 1hr in length and needs to be suitable for a flexible cast of 15-25 performers.
This creative process takes place over a number of stages starting in April 2018 with final performances taking place from June to August 2019.
Apr 18 Initial workshops with each venue. Led by artist/writer
Jun – Sep 18 Artist writing first draft/ adapting story/ developing text
Oct 18 Weekend residential led by artist with 4 members of each venue, to be held in a central location. Opportunity to workshop 1st draft/adaptation
Oct – Dec 18 Working on and finalising rehearsal draft/ adaptation
Dec 18 Rehearsal draft finished
Jan 2019 Rehearsal process begins, each venue working with 2nd draft.
Jan –Feb 19 Weekly rehearsals in all venues. Artist to visit each venue for one rehearsal. Any final edits in place by Feb.
Mar 19 Weekly rehearsals continue with final draft.
Jun/Jul 19 Final performances at Derby, Dundee & Northampton. Artist to attend at each venue.
Aug 19 Intense 4-week rehearsal process at Plymouth. Artist to attend one rehearsal and final performance.
*Leeds & Newcastle performances dates TBC
To apply please send a CV and covering letter
- max 1 side A4
- explaining your relevant experience, what interests you in this opportunity and working with young people in particular.
- All applicants from writers should include two extracts of your previous work.
- Applications from dramaturgs should include two examples of previous work.
- Alongside this please send a project proposal (max 500 words) outlining how you would approach this opportunity and how you imagine placing young people’s voices at the centre of the process.
- The fee for this project is £7,500 to include the creation of the final production, development workshops and rehearsal attendance. Travel and accommodation will also be provided.
- Please submit your applications to Lisa Williamson, Participation & Young Artists Associate, Dundee Rep Theatre
Dundee Rep Theatre
Deadline: Monday 5 February at 12pm
There will be a short-listing process following which all short-listed artists should be available to discuss their proposals in detail on Thursday 8 February.